- Hair loss affects men and women alike. It is not solely a problem for men. Female hair loss is very common. More than 40 million men and nearly 30 million women suffer from hair loss in the U.S. today. However, it is very important for hair loss sufferers to be properly informed and educated on the vast differences between male and female hair loss.
- DHT (Dihydrotestoterone) is the most common cause of hair loss. DHT builds up around the hair follicle and eventually kills both the follicle and the hair. The hair follicle’s resistance to DHT is genetic. The weaker the resistance level the sooner one will experience hair loss. This hormone exists both in men and women and is the most common cause of male and female pattern baldness.
- There is absolutely no cure for hair loss, sad to say…not yet. In other words, once a hair follicle dies, there is nothing on the market today that can revive a dead follicle. While various possible cures are being studied and analyzed, the scientific community has not yet discovered a viable cure to either counter DHT (the hormone that contributes to hair loss) or revive a dead follicle.
- Minoxidil (topical application to the scalp) and Finasteride (oral pill) are the only two FDA approved drugs that have been clinically proven to regrow hair from living follicles. Laser scalp therapy has also been proven to regrow hair from living follicles. All of the hundreds of other hair loss products on the market today DO NOT regrow hair from living follicles. They may only volumize, strengthen, moisturize, cover up thinning areas, etc. of existing hair to make it look and feel good. That is why it is important to truly read and understand the products’ designed purpose.
- There are truly only three major categories of viable options for addressing hair loss, within which various customizable solutions are available. The three main categories are Hair Restoration, Hair Replacement and Hair Growth Therapy/Treatment. However, it is important to understand that every viable solution entails a lifelong maintenance program to maintain your desired hair level, or at least until you no longer wish to address your hair loss condition. In other words, there is no one-time one-and-done solution.
- Hair Restoration involves invasive surgery in which donor follicles are surgically removed from the back of one’s head and transplanted to the top of the head. One has to truly be an ideal candidate to result in the most re-growth success from donor follicles. This is not an automatic solution for everyone…there are many factors to consider. The most honest doctors will tell you that more than one surgery will typically be required; that you might experience pain and hair shock (losing more hair before you start to grow new hair from the donor follicles); and that a lifelong commitment to minoxidil, finasteride and/or laser therapy is required post-surgery to continue to stem the natural hair loss cycle.
- Hair Growth Therapy/Treatment involves the daily and regular use of either minoxidil, finasteride and/or laser hair therapy to promote hair growth from existing living follicles. It is best to monitor the progress both on a naked eye visual inspection and (more importantly) at a closer microscopic follicular level. Close monitoring is the key to determine sooner rather than later if it is a viable option for you.
- While hair surgery and hair growth therapy both entail a several month process to see the results of significant hair growth, Hair Replacement is a non-surgical and non-invasive solution that is immediate and instantaneous. Hair replacement involves using a hair system that is integrated with your own existing hair to cover the balding areas. It is a customized and precise solution that perfectly matches and blends well with one’s existing hair. This option works well for candidates with significant hair loss, for men and women. There are many types of natural-looking, 100% human hair systems that are ideal for every type of candidate.
- The average hair loss sufferer goes through a seven (7) year decision cycle before finally coming out of denial and making a firm decision to seek solutions for the hair loss. A lot of hair and follicles could be saved during that time if one acts sooner. This blog is aimed to help and educate every hair loss sufferer and hopefully shorten that decision cycle.
DesignX Hair Creations is focused on educating, informing and bringing awareness to male and female hair loss and its real, viable solutions. We aim to eliminate the mystique factor and ambiguity in the industry by providing as much relevant information as we can to make it as clear and simple as possible. We hope to take away the negative stigma and shame of losing one’s hair (particularly for women) so that hair loss and its solutions become more understood and accepted in the mainstream. We want to impart to everyone that is knowledge is power…the more you know about your condition and your options, the more empowered you’ll be to take control of your hair loss and find the perfect solution for yourself.